Love is in the air with Valentine’s Day just 2 weeks away!! It may mean overpriced flowers, unwanted chocolates and tacky cards but I blooming love it!
If you’re newly single (apparently there’s more break ups over Christmas than at any other time of the year) or could give Bridget Jones a run for her money then despair not, your Fairy Clothes Mother is here to get you back in the dating game with a little style help.
A woman deciding what to wear is generally a daily dilemma in itself but a woman deciding what to wear for a first date takes the predicament to another level! What to wear for the perfect romantic evening is always difficult but very important. Everyone makes instant judgments, even if it’s done subconsciously, we all do it and what you are wearing will have massive impact on any judgment your date makes about you. Get what you wear on a first date right and look your best then the rest will hopefully follow. You only have one chance to make that first impression, make sure it’s the right one.
I teach my clients how to have style, this is quite simply wearing the clothes that suit you and make you feel confident whilst being comfortable. All you need to do is learn how to dress for success and get your style right. Style is not necessarily about wearing designer labels head to toe, having that ‘must-have’ celebrity accessory or following the latest trends. It’s more about having that little bit of confidence to be able to see what you have and then make the most of it. Simply concentrate on your good aspects, accentuating the positives will naturally detract from your negatives and there is no doubt you will look good from doing this. What to wear on a first date can be difficult as you probably don’t know your date well enough to know what they do and do not like, it will also depend upon the venue. I’m basing my recommendations on a general restaurant/drinks type scenario. If he’s taking you trekking up a mountain then you don’t need to read on!!
Here are my top tips for women on what to wear on a first date:
- If you’ve got great legs then get them out and wear a fun little dress with heels to show off your best asset. He’ll be so busy looking at your pins that he won’t notice anything else.
- If you have a chest to be proud of then reveal it a little (in a tasteful way obviously!)
- If you’re showing off your legs then cover up your chest and vice versa. That’s a rule.
- If you have good hair then treat yourself to a blow dry. Big and bouncy so that you walk in with a serious spring in your step.
- Makeup is a must however too much and you’ll scare him off. If you’re not too confident at doing your own makeup then get an expert to do it for you. Most product houses will do it for you for free or hire a professional a couple of hours before your date.
- Keep jewellery to a minimum. If you’re going for a statement piece then just keep it to that one. Lots of jewellery can look cheap.
- Go easy with the perfume, I am all for smelling nice but just be careful not to put too much on. Try and spray it in the air then walk through the mist for a more subtle scent.
- Don’t look too trendy, your friends might be jealous of your latest outfit but your date might not follow fashion and may wonder what on earth you are wearing.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to shop for an outfit. Doing this will stress you out and you don’t need that on the day of your date.
- Wear a bra that fits and have the confidences to show a touch of cleavage. It is astonishing how many women wear the wrong size bra. If you are not sure visit an independent lingerie shop or John Lewis, they will all offer a free bra fitting services.
On a budget… get your makeup done at a counter and treat yourself to the lipstick she completes your look with.
Mid-range… nothing says feminine elegance than a little black dress. Choose a style that suits your body shape, accentuating all your positive features and detracts from the ones you’re not so keen on.
Blow the budget… on an amazing pair of red sole Christian Louboutins. Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she can conquer the world never mind about a first date!
If you really are stuck then you know where to find me,
Your Fairy Clothes Mother x