The Importance of Underwear – getting the basics right
In my experience it is possible that the first item of clothing you will probably need to buy is a bra. Having the right underwear is so important, Christian Dior once said “without foundation, there can be no fashion” and he was certainly not wrong. Your underwear provides the foundation upon which your entire style and appearance is based upon. It is where the start of looking and feeling good all begins.
Underwear should not be underestimated. The shape of your body can change for better or worse depending upon the lingerie you are wearing, this is where I always start with a client.
Have you ever been measured for a bra only to be told that you’re a totally different size from the one you thought? Don’t you worry, it is a fairly common complaint to the point that 99% of my clients wear the wrong size!
Most people buy too small in the cup and too big in the back. It is vital to get the right bra size, not only to support the breasts properly, but also to ensure that your clothes flatter. The wrong shape or size bra can create unsightly bulges and can add weight. The most important thing when choosing your bra is the fit, you should also demand comfort, support and suitability for your clothing.
I recommend that you always visit a good local independent lingerie shop, rather than a department store. Consult them as their advice and knowledge is far superior, it is their speciality and they will be able to tell you your exact size as well as the style of bra you should be looking for. Remember when it comes to bra’s they need to have the sheepdog effect… it needs to round them up and point them in the right direction!
Cleo’s Top Tips:
- Make sure your bra fits securely around your body and that your bust is contained within the cup not spilling over.
- An everyday bra should be well constructed and not too dainty. A good bra will lift your bust and give your waist definition (my favourite brands are Lejaby and Marie Jo).
- Always put your top back on when choosing a bra. It has got to fit but also give you the right shape for your clothes.
- Seamless bras are good for t-shirts, knitwear and close fitting tops. Lacy bras are fine if you want to show your underwear, wear them under shirts that you can see through, under loose fitting garments or keep them for the bedroom!
- Most important colours to buy are nude and black. Buy two of each (wash one, wear one). Nude is a must, whatever your skin colour, to wear under white garments. It gives a totally natural appearance. Black is optional and white is unnecessary.
- Variation in cup shape gives your bust a different look, which you’ll need depending upon the shape of your garments. Always make sure your bra straps are adjusted so your bust is positioned in the right place. Do this frequently as they tend to slip down after washing.
- You should always hand wash your bras in a soft detergent and not in the washing machine. It ruins the shape of your bra and halves its life span. It could also potentially ruin your washing machine in the process!
A Little Extra Help
Whether you want to have a bust for the first time in your life or just to enhance your cleavage or shape, silicone gel implants are now available to give you the look you’ve always coveted, without the need for surgery. Full implants create a bustier look for those who were not given them by Mother Nature, or they can enhance the shape of an existing bust. They look particularly good with close fitting garments. Alternatively, use half silicone implants to give you the cleavage you’ve always wanted, or to create a younger looking cleavage, replacing the ski slope appearance we get as our bust heads south!
It’s not just fridge pickers that wear big knickers! It’s everyone, including Bridget Jones! There is such a wide variety of knickers on the market today that can do weird and wonderful things with our bodies, that it’s worth investigating just what is available:
- G-strings are ideal for trousers and close fitting items because they don’t give you a VPL (Visible Panty Line).
- Always buy a bigger size than your dress size, which will make them so much more comfortable.
- If you have a lot of cellulite on your bottom, an alternative to a g-string is a skimpy short in a very fine fabric, this will stop it being seen through certain fabrics.
- High waisted big knickers with a control tummy do wonders worn under close fitting dresses or skirts.
- There are knickers available that lift your bottom or smooth out your thighs. My personal favourites are Spanx. These are available at most good department stores, independent lingerie shops or online.
- Always choose knickers or tights that have a narrow waistband as this prevents the “Michelin” effect, which is not attractive!
The underwear available today can change your body, spend some time investigating, you will be truly amazed. The use of strategically placed lingerie tape or self-adhesive cups for those skimpy little numbers can provide truly remarkable results. Dieting, exercise and liposuction are unnecessary, all you need is an amazing combination of good tailoring and some clever nip, tuck and smoothing. Now all of your assets are in the right place girls, you’re good to go!